Terri Wood, Trial Attorney P.C.
Law Office of Terri Wood, P.C.:
Private practitioner specializing in major-felony criminal trial practice at state and federal levels, capital cases, and federal appeals, Sept. 1988 to date. “AV” rating in Martindale-Hubble.
Office of the Public Defender, Sixteenth Judicial Circuit, State of Florida:
Major felonies and capital cases trial attorney, May 1984 -June 1988; Felony/misdemeanor trial attorney, Oct. 1982-May 1984.
Southern Legal Counsel, Inc.:
Associate/law clerk, Sept. 1981-Oct. 1982 (public interest law firm).
Larry G. Turner & Associates:
Associate/law clerk, June 1981-Aug. 1982 (defense of criminal drug cases in state and federal courts, trial and appellate practice).
University of Florida, College of Journalism:
Adjunct lecturer, Winter term 1981.
New York Times Affiliated Florida Newspapers:
Reporter covering local government, courts and police beat, Nov. 1975-Sept. 1981.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL LICENSES
- Oregon State Bar: Admitted Sept. 1988.
- United States District Court, Oregon: Admitted Nov. 1989; and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Florida State Bar: Admitted May 1982 (inactive status as of 1990; resigned in 1995).
- University of Florida, Holland Law Center: J.D. with honors, Dec. 1981.
- University of Florida, College of Journalism: B.S. with high honors, June 1975.
ACTIVITIES & AWARDS
- Vice President, Oregon Criminal Defendant Attorney Association, 2013-2014
- Board of Directors, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (OCDLA), 2012-to date
- Board of Directors, Lane County Bar Association, 2010-2012
- Board of Directors, Lane County Public Defender Services, 2010-to date
- Member of Oregon Criminal Defense Attorneys Association, Criminal Justice Act Panel Attorneys, OCDLA Capital Defenders Association, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Lane County Bar Association, Roland K. Rodman Inn of Court; past pro-tem judge for Lane County Circuit and District Court.
SCHOLARLY LECTURES AND WRITINGS
- Author of the Discovery Chapter for the Oregon Criminal Defense Association's new edition of the Criminal Trial Manual., Author, Discovery Chapter, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Legal, 2013
- Chapter author for "Jury Selection in Criminal Cases," published by Aspatore as part of its "Inside the Minds" series, featuring "Leading Lawyers On Balancing The Art And Science Of The Voir Dire Process"., Author, "Understanding and Perfecting the Art of Jury Selection", Aspatore, Legal, 2013
- "Inside The Minds: Defense Strategies For Drug Crimes" book features leading lawyers on interpreting today's drug cases, developing a thorough defense, and protecting a client's rights. Read Terri Wood's chapter on attacking probable cause based on the subjective sensory perceptions of police officers, on her website, Chapter Author, Aspatore, Attorneys, 2012
- "Keeping Prejudice Out of the Jury Room: Voir Dire for the Minority Defendant", Author and Presenter, OCDLA Annual Conference, 2003
- An Investigative-Reporter-Turned-Lawyer's Tool Bag for Discovery in Complex Cases(and Cracking the Cartwright Code), Author & Presenter, OCDLA , 2001
- "Theory of the Case: Voir Dire and Closing", Author and Presenter, OCDLA "Sex Crimes: Defending the Accused" seminar, 1995
- “Getting Discovery: Oregon Statutory Basis and Developments in the Law", Author & Presenter, OCDLA “Discovery and Trial Preparation” seminar, 1992
- Adjunct lecturer, Winter term, University of Florida, College of Journalism, 1981
- Editor, The Verdict, Holland Law Center, January - June 1980
- Lecturer, OCDLA seminars; instructor, University of Oregon trial advocacy classes
- Presented analysis and ideas for federal sentencing strategy post-Booker, Leader, breakout session, Defender Services Division Training Branch, “Winning Strategies” 2005
“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”
~ Abraham Lincoln
Geographical Practice Areas: Attorney Terri Wood has over 30 years of experience fighting for the rights of clients accused of crimes. Her practice is exclusively, 100% criminal defense. Attorney Wood represents criminal defendants charged in Oregon’s federal, state, and municipal courts, and persons under investigation for crimes. Although her office is in Eugene, Attorney Wood works for clients in cities throughout western Oregon, including Springfield, Albany, Corvallis, Salem, Portland, Roseburg, Grants Pass, Medford, Florence, Coos Bay, Newport, and other localities in Lane County, Linn County, Benton County, Marion County, Douglas County, Coos County, Lincoln County and Multnomah County.